I’ve never been good at mushy emotional paragraphs, so I thought I’d sumise my exit from Reno with a concise, but not too concise, list of things I will miss.
1. Brown mountains.
2. Brown in general. I read an essay once about how Nevada is about appreciating brown, and it’s a developed taste like one for red wine, black coffee and onions. The drive is getting progressively greener and while it’s beautiful, I still miss those bare earthy rocks protruding into a clear blue sky.
3. Pub and Sub pizza. Especially of the cheese or Tree hugger variety.
4. Wikler.
5. Lazy afternoons in the park (all right, all one of them), Sunday matinees and waking up too late for brunch.
6. Sagebrushers.
7. Wednesday night drinks at Seven.
8. That fleeting feeling of calm after deadline, when the office is quiet and it’s just me and the desk.
9. Telling everyone what to do.
10. Being someone.
11. My white bedroom.
12. Shopping with Jackie.
13. Vegetable dumplings at Dynasty.
14. Skipping class because I felt like it.
15. The pressure of juggling 17 things at once.
16. Being minutes away from Tahoe. I should have taken more advantage of that.
17. Most of all the people. Especially you.
Even though I’m driving with my parents and Nevada is hundreds of miles away, it has yet to hit me that I’m really … here. And by here I mean at this current point in time. Graduated. First job. Moving to a new city where I will be absolutely alone.
Oh god there’s a gorgeous lake out the window. Pause. It’s beautiful here. But I miss my desert.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awww, Annie...
You'll be horribly missed (in a good way).
P.S. My Sagebrush cup is currently sitting proudly on top of my desk at work, and my pen travels around with me in my purse.
I take my pen with my everywhere, but I don't have a desk yet and I probably won't for a while so I use the mug to drink milk and Big Red out of.
We'll miss you a lot and I too miss lazy afternoons in the park.
Post a Comment