Thursday, June 21, 2007

back to print (thank god)

So, I've spent the past few days on the b-cast desk, which was enlightening but horrid. Mostly, my days consisted of rewriting stories for other journalists into a tighter and more conversational form. Here's what I learned:

1) Most journalists are shitty writers who use obscene amounts of jargon and complicated grammar. After learning to write subject, verb for an entire week, reading a complicated sentence with appositives and clauses hurts my head. Note to self: write simply.

2) Most journalists are shitty reporters. Explain to me why you would write a story about an AGE DISCRIMINATION lawsuit and not include the plaintiff's AGE. Why? Why would an editor let that get through? That's the most vivid example I can think of, but there were tons more. Note to self: report well.

3) No wonder readers are drawing away from newspapers. We either write down to them, or write in complicated language. And readers are paying attention. I stumbled on this blog this morning. Mostly pay attention to the media commentaries. Fascinating.

While I definitely did not enjoy waking up at 4 a.m. to work broadcast, the lessons were invaluable. But I missed not being able to actually report. I'm excited to get back to it today. In fact, I'm done blogging for now.

Oh! But, I do have a friend! Yay! She's the intern for the Seattle Times and is on their retail beat. I suspect we will get along ...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Bleh, broadcast...those are some interesting lessons though, because most journalists think they're fabulous writers and reporters. I actually had this whole discussion over lunch with a girl who graduated from UNR five years ago, and then was working at the Nevada Appeal until now. About how a lot of journalists are writers who don't know how to simplify what they say, even though that's there job, and how a lot of journalists have to grow into reporting, because they don't like it at first.
Just food for thought.
I'm glad you have an intern buddy too. Yay retail!

MikeMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Where I've Been